New Mediasite capabilities include live streaming mobile playback
Orlando, Fla., - InfoComm Booth #3375 - June 15, 2011 - Sonic Foundry, Inc.(NASDAQ: SOFO), the recognized market leader for rich media webcasting, lecture capture and knowledge management, today unveils the sixth version of its patented, award-winning Mediasite webcasting platform.
Mediasite 6 introduces the broadest range of live mobile streaming available from a professional-grade webcasting appliance and rich media management platform, including:
- Live streaming and on-demand playback on nearly every mobile device, from iPad and iPhone to Blackberry and Android device, using HTML5 and H.264
- Adaptive streaming, via Microsoft Smooth Streaming, to optimize Mediasite playback by switching video quality in real-time based on available bandwidth and device capabilities
- System-wide search using indexed slide text, presentation metadata and closed captions (if available) to pinpoint valuable content snippets anywhere in your entire Mediasite library
- Search engine optimization for publicly-available presentations
- Redesigned Mediasite Catalogs including new mobile catalog, Calendar view and video preview layouts
- Numerous Mediasite Management Portal enhancements for advanced content management, reporting, content customization and security
"Mediasite has always been the platform of choice for us," said Gareth Lloyd, Digital Event Services, Saville Audio Visual in the United Kingdom. "It is the complete end-to-end solution for capturing, managing and delivering presentations seamlessly and reliably in a totally flexible experience. With the imminent release of Mediasite 6, Sonic Foundry continues to lead the way as the explosion in mobile and net-connected devices is radically affecting how users want and need to communicate. The ability to quickly search and locate relevant pieces of information across multiple presentations using any presentation metadata is invaluable. Combining this with the ability to stream interactive rich media content live and on-demand to tablets and smartphones is the way of the future."
"The College of Education at Texas Tech University is looking forward to the release of Mediasite 6. Mediasite is already so easy to use to present classroom lectures and special events to remote audiences. Our distance-education students in particular will appreciate content playback on their mobile devices like iPads and iPhones," said Darren Rogers from the College of Education at Texas Tech University.
"This is a well-timed new release of Mediasite," added Alan Greenberg, Senior Analyst and Partner, Wainhouse Research. "Mobility is huge right now, and Sonic Foundry is coming at it with i's dotted and t's crossed in terms of breadth of devices supported. Enhanced indexing of metadata and the new approach to catalogs also will be especially attractive to enterprise and educational customers alike."
"Mediasite 6 is the culmination of years of leadership in webcasting and lecture capture, and the result of a major effort to deliver on the innovativeness and creativity our loyal customers have come to expect. Scalability and reliability are paramount as webcasting becomes mission critical across campuses and enterprises," said Rob Lipps, executive vice president of Sonic Foundry. "With the Mediasite 6 platform, we further unleash enterprise-class functionality and dependability, challenging ourselves and our customers to take webcasting to the next level."
Mediasite has been named the Global Market Share Leader for Lecture Capture Solutions by Frost & Sullivan for three years, and is the four-time consecutive winner of the Streaming Media Readers' Choice Award for Best Webcasting Solution. Mediasite 6 will be available fall 2011.